World-famous spa resort
The ancient Bulgarian town and world-famous spa resort of Hissar is situated in the centre of Bulgaria, in the southern folds of Sredna Gora Mountains, 42 km north of Plovdiv and 167 km east of Sofia, close to the Valley of Roses.
Ancient Bulgarian town
During the age of the Roman Empire, the town, called Augusta, was a wealthy healing centre with Emperor’s palaces, wide stone streets, marble baths, statues of Roman Gods and exuberant vegetation.
Today Hissar is a modern spa resort that offers all facilities for balneotherapy. There are 22 mineral springs in Hissar - 16 natural and 6 deeply drilled, with temperatures ranging from 37 to 51 degrees C.
The mineral water is light, clear, colourless, and tasty. It is slightly mineralized, hypo- and hyper-thermal, with a predominance of hydrocarbonic, sodium, sulphate and fluorine ions, as well as substantial amounts of radioactive gas. The radioactive emanation is 10-165 Em, pH - 7.6 - 9.02 and over 20 microelements. The acid content - 200 - 270 mgl.
Hissar mineral water can be used both as table water and for prevention of: gastro-intestinal tract diseases, nephrolithiasis and nephro-urological diseases, cholelithiasis, locomotory system diseases, gynecological diseases, endocrine-metabolical diseases, early artherosclerosis and processes of premature senility, dental diseases and prevention of dental caries, chronic intoxication with heavy metals and pharmaceutical substances.
The climate is moderate continental with mild and warm winter. The average annual snow cover is 12 days. Spring comes early, summer is temperately hot with an average month temperature of 22oC. Autumn is warm and long lasting. The average annual humidity is moderate (70 %). Foggy weather is an exception. The wettest months are June and November. Sunny days - 280 per year.
Archeological Museum - 8, Alexander Stamboliiski Str.,working hours:8a.m.-12a.m., 1,30p.m. – 5,30p.m.
The Hissar Fortress has the shape of an irregular tetragon with an area of 300 decares. Its walls are some of the best preserved fortress defences in Bulgaria.
In the past one could enter the town through 4 gates, the main of which was the southern gate called “The Camels”.
The Hissar tomb is a late-Roman (4 th century) family tomb, consisting of an overarched passage, a staircase and a burial chamber with colour frescoes and 4-colour-mosaic.
Other interesting sites are: the Banski buildings (baths), the Old-Christian Basilicas (5 th -6 thC.), the church-tomb from the 10 th – 12 thC, the mosque in the western part of the town, the Holy Mother of God temple in Momina Banya neighborhood, the St.Dimitar temple in the Verigovo residential area, the St. Pantaleimon temple, the St. Petar and Pavel church.
Very interesting are the unique bead belts from Momina banja /Maidens' bath/ neighbourhood in Hissar. It takes about three months to make a one-meter long belt. The beads are sewn on one by one, day after day before the flowers of Thrace shine on the beautiful national costumes.
Hissarya has regular bus lines to Plovdiv, Karlovo, Panagyurishte, the village of Krastevitch and others. The town is the last stop of the railway line Dolna Mahala – Hissar.
Bus station – tel. + 359 337/2069
Railway station – tel. +359 337/2256,2094,2411
Hissar is a starting point of tourist trails through the Central Sredna Gora. From here there are marked tourist routes to the Orela Inn (5h). From the Inn you can proceed to the Chivira Inn(3h), the Bogdan Inn(5h), or you can climb the peaks Alexitza (1h), Fenera (20min), Kozya Gramada(20min).
- Hissar Hotel - SPA Complex
- SANA SPA Hotel
- SPA club Central
- Augusta Spa Hotel
- Hotel Chinar
- Kamilite hotel
- Only 60 SPA hotels will remain in Bulgaria
- Hissarya cooperates with a French city
- Spa holidays and packages in Bulgaria
- Foreigners Fancy Bulgaria's Cultural, Spa Tourism
- Hissarya- SPA residence of Balkan Peninsula
- Bulgarian Spa & Wellness resorts become more popular
- Greek, Romanian and Macedonian tourists flock to Bulgaria for Easter
- Cheap Easter Holidays in Bulgaria: the choice is yours
- Future of Bulgarian tourism- SPA and wellness
- Germans prefer Bulgarian SPA to Czech
- Ladies are welcome: Tempting Christmas and New Year offers
- Christmas and New Year Holidays 2011 cheap last minute packages
- Bulgaria is a part of the European SPA map
- Canadian Vancouver Sun: Bulgaria is mecca for SPA tourism
- Hot springs make Bulgaria a mecca for the spa crowd
- Annual SPA nominations in Bulgaria for the first time
- Significant increase in the number of bookings for Bulgaria’s SPA resorts
- Russian tourists filled the famous SPA resort Hissar
- 7% Growth of the visits of Spa holidaymakers in Bulgaria
- Bulgaria Hotels to Lower Prices in 2010
- Hissar is the greenest municipality of the year
- Bulgarian SPA hotels are full despite severe winter conditions
- Spa Hotel “Hissar” to develop tourism market in Scandinavian countries
- Spa Tourism to be the smashing hit on Christmas
- High tourist season in Hissar