Thracian tomb - Kazanlak
One of the most famous monuments of Thracian culture, included in the World Register of Historical Sites, in 1979, was discovered in 1944. A corridor, 1. 95 m in length, 1. 12 m in width and 2. 24 m in height leads to a domed tomb, 3. 25 m in height and 2. 65 m in diameter at the base.The building material is brick, used two centuries later by the Romans. The frame is of blocks of stone and clay is used as bonding material. It is situated in the southern part of a mound, at ground level.
Еntrance is from the south side. The tomb became world famous with its unique mural, done in wet fresco and tempera. The artistic decoration covers an area of 40m2 and is an extraordinary art gallery, taking the visitor a long way back in time. The pictures show battles and scenes from daily life, realistically displayed, with great dynamism and details in the clothing and armour.
The scenes of funeral procession , the musicians, the Thracian ruler and his wife, the chariots, the horses and other depictions are all very interesting. The tomb dates from the late IV c. - early III c. B.C. Nearby an exact copy has been built for tourists.
The Thracian tomb is situated in the north-eastern part of Kazanlak.
Other places of interest in Kazanlak
Places to go in Kazanlak
- Kazanluk hosts two unique festivals
- Kazanluk participates in a huge travel fair
- Legendary jazz musician will visit Bulgaria for Rose festival
- Bulgaria-top 50 tours of a lifetime destinations by National Geographic Traveler
- Rose oil production is one of Bulgaria’s most successful tourist attractions that draw tourists
- More Japanese tourists in Bulgaria
- Christmas and New Year Holidays 2011 cheap last minute packages
- Techno Festival Free Open Air Sevtopolis takes place near Koprinka dam
- Cross-Country Mountain Bike weekend in Karlovo, explore the Rose valley on your
- Bulgaria reveals Thracian treasures and relics from Revival period at Expo 2010
- Bulgaria to woo tourists with cultural gems
- Saudi Prince to Fund Bulgarian Archaeological Thracian City Project
- An exploring expedition in search for Odrisi capitals
- Thracian Capital Emerges from Dam Bottom
- Japanese investments in the tourism of Kazanlak town
- Sevtopolis and Bulgarian rose to be presented in European Parliament
- Deep research in Valley of Thracian kings is to begin next year
- Frescoes in Kazanlak Tomb painted by Kodzimases
- Underwater photos of Thracian city Sevtopolis began
- The fulfilment of the project Sevtopolis is value at the amount of 100 million €
- The valley of Thracian kings is an accomplished tourist product
- Rose Festival in Kazanlak
- Today Rose holidays start
- UNESCO to Shield Bulgaria's Thracian Treasures