Language:

  • en
  • bg
  • ru
  • ro
  • el
  • tr
  • sr
  • es
  • de
  • fr
  • it
  • nl
 / +359 886 55 99 85 e-mail
We speak English

No booking fees!
FREE cancellation in most cases!

Search for hotel offers:

* optional
 (€ total)

Hotels in Bulgaria (720)

Ski in Bulgaria 2018/19

Live webcams in Bulgaria

Hotels in Plovdiv

The Jewish community survived the Holocaust intact. Immediately following World War II, half of Bulgaria's Jewish population immigrated to Israel. Those who remained found their lives and institutions controlled by the Communist Party. Their religious life was nearly eradicated as the community's art treasures were damaged, its grand synagogues were abandoned or appropriated and valuable sacred and ritual objects were sold or plundered. Since 1989, the community has initiated efforts to restore existing synagogues. Today the Jewish community has succeeded, with the aid of new legislation, in reclaiming several properties. Since the fall of communism in late 1989, Plovdiv’s Jews have erected a menorah-shaped monument in the center of Plovdiv shown in the photo at the right. The monument is located in a park at the beginning of Plovdiv's Jewish Quarter, across street 6 September near the synagogue.

History of jewish people in city of Plovdiv

PLOVDIV (ancient Philippopolis), city in the S. central part of Bulgaria. During the Byzantine rule, the Jews lived in a special quarter. Under the Turks, their quarter was known as Orta Mezar. During the 16th century, there were some Sephardi Jews in the town; they engaged in commerce. During the 18th century, the rabbi was Judah Sid (d. 1815), the author of Ot Emet (Salonika, 1799) and Ner Mitzvah (ibid., 1810–11). He was succeeded by R. Abraham ibn Aroiio (1750–1819), the author of the responsa Mayim ha-Ḥayyim (ibid., 1846–64). Plovdiv was the seat of the regional assembly of Eastern Rumelia, an entity established in 1878 by the Congress of Berlin; some Jews played a role in the assembly's proceedings. In 1912, there were 3,000 Jews in Plovdiv and in 1938, 6,000. In 1895 a Yishuv Ereẓ Yisrael society was founded. At that timeJoseph Marco (Marcou) *Baruch published there, in French, Carmel, which was the foremost Jewish-national newspaper of Bulgaria. From 1901 Ha-Shofar, the bulletin of the Zionist Organization, was published in Plovdiv, and from 1924 the Zionist headquarters was situated there. The Jews of Plovdiv were engaged in commerce and crafts. Later they opened some factories. During World War II, in 1943, an expulsion decree ordering all the Plovdiv Jews to leave Bulgaria was issued, but it was not carried out. In 1967 there were 1,000 Jews, dropping to 500 in 2004, affiliated to the local branch of the nationwide Shalom organization.

Plovdiv synagogue Zion on the map of Plovdiv

Other religious buildings in Plovdiv

 

Hotels in Plovdiv

Upcoming events in Plovdiv

Places to go in Plovdiv

Restaurants & bars in Plovdiv

Deals & discounts in Plovdiv

News from Plovdiv

Plovdiv